Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Designing and Revealing that Silver Lining!


A few months ago a couple from church emailed me about designing their home(!) For those of you who know me, you know how ecstatic I was about this possibility! I have always adored interior and exterior design and have dabbled in a few jobs, other than my own home and it's ever changing-ness, which drives my poor hubby crazy:) However, this would be my first opportunity to do an entire house all at once!! It was such an awesome experience and my creative juices were just flowing all over the place..all the time!! I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it and can't wait for the next project:)

The neatest part of it all was seeing how God worked and made it all happen. This summer I knew He was wanting me to slack off from work and put all that time and energy into my children. However, I've been having some health issues lately sooo financially I needed to work even though spiritually and physically I knew I was supposed to be here. Hmmm. Also, along with these health issues, going out in the sun was a no-no:( Huge bummer. So with the sun being off limits, my job being off limits and 2 full speed ahead kiddos, what's a girl to do?? Well what He desires all of us girls and boys to do of course..pray:)

And after some time in prayer, I got the email from the Millers! It gave me purpose, that He knows I so desperately need, and it opened up all new outings for me and the kids! We went on daily indoor shopping trips to "the city" to new stores and areas and I let them "help" me and pick out "prizes" for themselves if they were patient and trusty assistants:) The long drives gave us time to talk, that we otherwise wouldn't have had with our pool commute:) It gave me the opportunity to share with them another of my loves and talk with them about their likes and dislikes and dreams and aspirations for their fast approaching futures!

This summer was full of very low valleys with heavy weighing health questions, professional paranoia of letting my gifts go to waste, wrestling with unruly relationships, and just wanting answers to it all. But, on the other side of that, I know that God is at the peak of those valleys and He's looking down on me saying, stop worrying, I have a plan and You have never left my hands. There's always a silver lining and even though the rest of the cloud may be completely dark and grey, He promises "ALL things work together for good for those who love and seek Him."

So, I still didn't find all the answers but I did find a whole lot of silver lining:) Opportunity to exercise another of my professional passions, treasured time spent with my 2 favorite little people on this earth, and many moments talking to Jesus and fervently seeking His guidance! I ended up making some business cards as a little celebratory sign off from the Miller's home:) I went with "Designing Rich" as the name. The verse God laid on my heart was 2 Corinthians 4:17-18 For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

This verse is a reminder that we all have "troubles" in this life but, thankfully, He blesses us with roofs over our heads for our families and kitchens and tables to eat the food on that He provides. And yes, Rich is a play off of my last name as with the title of my blog, but the deeper meaning to it and "Designing Rich" is that is what true value and being "rich" truly is. Our families, children, and friends. The things that last and matter. That "unseen" love that we can show through our providing of our homes for our children and the food we prepare for each other and those priceless photos that catch those "temporary" moments and help us remember them for a lifetime and ultimately "fix our eyes" on our "eternal" resting place with our Lord and Savior:)

Hope you enjoy the virtual tour of the Miller's beautiful home. Jessica was going to take my "AFTER" pictures for me so I could give my sad little pocket shot camera a break..but she got busy with a newborn baby or something;) Oh well all part of my master plan to get baby Lyla here, then I'll finish up the curtains etc and have to babysit her while Jess takes the final "AFTER' shots:)

talk soon..<>< april


AFTER - MASTER BATHROOM
Added rugs, wall art, monogrammed towels and small accessories
Decorating is all in the details:)





BEFORE - MASTER BATHROOM




AFTER - MASTER BEDROOM
Added beautiful bed that matched the furniture they already had..
rug, wall art, curtains, photos etc..
Definitely one of my favorite rooms ever!!






BEFORE - MASTER BEDROOM




AFTER - GUEST BATHROOM
Added awesome pinstripe shower curtain with personalized M..
wall art, rug, etc..
Love these colors..very soothing and welcoming for guests:)


BEFORE - GUEST BATHROOM


AFTER - GUEST BEDROOM
Added this bedspread that I totally wanted to keep for myself:)
pillows, wall art, photos, lamp, rug and accessories
Again LOVE this color scheme..bits of navy blue awesome with the rich brown!




BEFORE - GUEST BEDROOM


AFTER - UPSTAIRS HALLWAY
Love finding neat wall art that's also useful..
doorknobs are hooks for coats and backpacks:)



BEFORE - UPSTAIRS HALLWAY


AFTER - FOYER WALL ABOVE DINING ENTRANCE
Hands down my FAVE part of the house:)
These big beautiful family photos gracing the entryway of their home!




BEFORE - FOYER WALL ABOVE DINING ENTRANCE


AFTER - FOYER WALL ABOVE FORMAL SITTING ENTRANCE
Ditto on favorite part of the house:)
Especially love the sweet family shot!




BEFORE - FOYER WALL ABOVE FORMAL SITTING ENTRANCE


AFTER - DOWNSTAIRS BATHROOM
Really liked this wall art..mix of color and iron work..
LOVED this rug and adding a larger mirror made ALL the difference!




BEFORE - DOWNSTAIRS BATHROOM


DOWNSTAIRS "L" SHAPED HALLWAY
Adding the right wall art for wall scale and a solid rug did this area justice:)
AFTER


BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE


AFTER - FAMILY ROOM
They already had the furniture and entertainment center..
added one of my fave rugs ever, pillows, photos, wall art etc...
The turquoise and orange are a fun color scheme for this energetic family!






BEFORE - FAMILY ROOM


AFTER - BREAKFAST ROOM
They had the table and wanted to keep the rug and "cafe theme" accessories
added centerpiece, table runner, and added wall art..
LOVE the warmth of this color scheme..
makes me crave a home cooked meal:)



BEFORE - BREAKFAST ROOM


AFTER - KITCHEN OFFICE AREA
I just purposed this useful area by adding a chair and clearing space for the PC


BEFORE - KITCHEN OFFICE AREA


AFTER - KITCHEN AND BAR
This is the heart of the home:)
added extra seating and 11x14 photos above cabinets to cozy it up!




BEFORE - KITCHEN AND BAR


AFTER - KITCHEN SITTING AND TV AREA
Perfect for watching those cooking shows and following a recipe..
for those of you who can cook;) Love this area!!



BEFORE - KITCHEN SITTING AND TV AREA


AFTER - DINING ROOM
Added lots of accessories in here!
this is my favorite part of this room..
love these fun little details:)




BEFORE - DINING ROOM


AFTER - FORMAL SITTING ROOM
Favorite room..hands down!
From the colors to the furniture to the grand grandfather clock..
this room turned out so cool..love it:)





BEFORE - FORMAL SITTING ROOM




AFTER - FOYER
Added lots here..
this rug tied all the colors together..
LOVE each aspect and detail of this space!




BEFORE - FOYER


A COUPLE OUTDOOR ASPECTS
absolutely adore this double rocker and these benches I found:)
Compliment this awesome outdoor space so well!




THE MILLER'S BEAUTIFUL HOME ON THE HILL:)


AND THE FINISHING TOUCH..
HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE TOUR:)

2 comments:

  1. You are very talented! And I love your cute business cards! We miss you guys and hope you are all doing well! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ash..so sweet! Miss y'all too..congratulations again:)

    ReplyDelete